PDA

View Full Version : Abused pump - Now it's loud.

darrin
06-07-2006, 11:59 AM
I have a Pacfab Whisperflo 1 HP pump that is getting loud. The pump was abused last summer and I was wondering if it can be fixed or it should be replaced.

The pump was turned on and left unattended for may hours. The valve that controls the automatic cleaner and the return jets was in the off position. So there was no were for the water to go. The pump must have gotten extremely hot causing the pcv outlet fitting (the one on top of the pump) to push out and disconnect. This caused the pool to drain below the skimmer and then the pump continued to run dry.

I replaced the pvc fitting and to my surprise the pump works but is much louder. I have a feeling its only a matter of time before it dies. Can I repair it or should I just buy a new pump.

Poconos
06-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Could have cooked the seal but if it isn't leaking it could be just the motor bearings. If the pump is old you may make out better replacing it with a higher efficiency one but seals and bearings are pretty easy to replace and will be a lot cheaper than a new pump.
Al

darrin
06-07-2006, 02:39 PM
The pump is a lil over 3 years old and is very efficient. Does the pump use bearings or bushings?

Poconos
06-07-2006, 05:25 PM
Pretty sure most quality motors use bearings at both ends. Never had to pull mine apart yet. I remember some cases that have a bearing in the front because of lateral loads and a bushing in the rear. Anyone have better info?
Al

thepoolman1
06-07-2006, 06:16 PM
It's really not all that cost effective to have the bearings in a 1hp motor replaced. Most of the time you get a 90-day warranty ON THE BEARINGS only. A motor with loud bearings generally has been running hotter than designed and the windings begin to overheat. This causes deterioration of the laquer insulation and eventual failure. Most new motors come with a 1 or 2 year warranty. It's the same amount of work to remove and replace with a new one and you don't have to make a second trip to a motor or pool shop to pick up the motor when the bearing job is done.

For the Whisperflo remember to get a new shaft seal and all the O rings when you do a replacement or repair of the motor.

stualden
06-10-2006, 06:09 AM
Poolman1, is it realistic for a DIYer to replace the bearings (thereby making it cost effective assuming the rest of the motor is still in good shape)?

What tools are needed? Any online instructions on what to do? Thanks.

waste
06-10-2006, 10:27 AM
Darrin, sounds like the pump cavitated (the water in it boiled), hence the effluent fitting's comming off. Whatever else got melted is uncertain (I've seen pump baskets that have melted down to ~ 2.5") it's probably best to replace the whole pump as there is a fair chance that the sealing areas warped.
Sorry I couldn't give you more optimistic advice :( -Waste

thepoolman1
06-10-2006, 08:42 PM
If you are certain that you want to have the bearings replaced, take it to a shop that does the work. To diy you would have to buy a bearing puller and bearing driver kit, bearings, shaft seal. You also would need an impeller wrench (if you are careful, experienced or both you can get away without this) so as to not damage the impeller when you remove it. The cost of these tools will outweigh the cost of having the bearings replaced.

You have to completely open the motor without damaging the wiring and without breaking the less than 1/8" through bolts that hold the thing together. Buy all the tools and parts and then break these and you'll need a new motor or shop anyway.

Just a few thoughts.

darrin
06-20-2006, 09:39 AM
Thank you everone for your replies. I think I will just buy a new pump. I did notice a huge difference in my last electric bill - wow. The pump has turned into an electic hog.

Thanks again.