PDA

View Full Version : Ye Olde Rope Float

KirstenHW
07-19-2006, 10:49 PM
Our first rope float was nice - the floats were somehow locked into their respective positions on the rope and never moved around. It had hooks for the eyelets at each end - it was good. When, after years of UV and HTH abuse (before being Born Again to BBB) I finally had to retire it (the rope was disintegrating), I purchased a new one. One end has a hook, the other needs to be tied off in a knot at the opposite wall cleat. The most annoying part is that all the floats are free agents - they flop about and are not "anchored" to the rope. How do I fix this, short of ugly knots on each side of each float? Its petty, true, but it irritates me.

sevver
07-20-2006, 12:19 AM
What about a stainless screw and stainless nylon lock nut? Put it through the rope on each side of the float, the nut should hold the float in place and you could get them small enough to be relatively inconspicuous.

KirstenHW
07-20-2006, 08:44 AM
Great idea! I'll try it. Only thing is, the nut will have to be able to accommodate the width of the rope . . . I'll see what they have at Lowes.

sevver
07-20-2006, 08:54 AM
The bolt will have to accommodate the width of the rope I think you mean, plus 1/4".

matt4x4
07-20-2006, 10:23 AM
a more inconspicuous way would be to silicone or goop the floats in place, hold the float at the location you want it, stick the pointed tip of the goop tube between the float and rope - should go in 2 inches, squeeze out some goop while moving tip in circle to get it around rope and not just on one side of rope - do this to both sides of all floats, let cure - done.

KirstenHW
07-20-2006, 10:26 AM
Ooh - that sounds like it may be the ticket, Matt. Thanks to you as well, Sevver.

sevver
07-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Yes, matt's idea sounds better to me too.