PDA

View Full Version : Two Speed Pump

DavidP77
05-30-2007, 05:20 AM
Anyone out there using a two speed pump? I called my pool store asking about them and they said they are too expensive and don't sell well. I have read on here two speed is the way to go. It filters best in low speed and sweeps and backwashes best in high speed.
I have an above ground pool 17,000 gallon with a Hayward Power Flo LX 1.5 HP motor and pump with a Hayward Pro Series 200 lb filter. Currently the motor is running so hot I can't hold my hand on it at all. Is this normal? It over heated once and kicked out on me but hasn't since the one time. The motor/pump is 7 years old. I was wondering what to replace it with if it dies on me. Is there a two speed above ground motor and pump that will work for me and my current filter and is that the way to go to save electricity and to get a cleaner pool? I have read a 1.5 hp motor might be over driving my 200 lb filter anyway?
If anyone can explain the two speed pumps to me and if that is the way to go I would appreciate it. Do they have a special switch to switch it from low to high? Where can I buy one for an above ground pool? Thanks for your help.

AnnaK
05-30-2007, 07:41 AM
I have a two-speed pump on my 12,000 gal AG, made by Pentair.

It has a manual toggle switch. I run it on LO for a few hours during the day for general filtration and circulation. I switch to HI after the dogs have been in the pool because it does a better job of moving water through the skimmer basket on that setting. After the dog hair has been removed from the surface of the water, I switch back to LO. I use the HI setting when I vacuum, backwash and rinse.

On the LO setting the pressure gauge reads 6 psi and the pump housing is barely warm to the touch. On HI the gauge is at 12 - 14 psi and the housing is too warm to keep my hand on it. I've not had a problem with it overheating and shutting down.

Once the timer is installed I plan to switch the toggle to HI in the evening and have the pump run after midnight for a couple of hours, when the rates are lower.

tphaggerty
05-30-2007, 08:37 AM
Go to http://www.poolplaza.com/ for a good explaination of 2 speed pumps and also some pricing comparisons. Its a good place to see a whole bunch of pumps in one place. My PB talked me out of a 2 speed pump, one of the dumb things I did. Same reason as your poolstore, too expensive, never used.

So, I now have a multi-speed pump that I installed myself this year. Since we use solar for heating, our pump runs during the day when we are swimming. The 2 HP Hayward Superpump was WAY too loud. I installed my pump so that it goes to high speed when solar is on (I have a large array of panels) and low speed when solar is off. In low speed, you almost cannot hear the pump, even though it is still pumping close to half the amount as high speed, and the electrical use is about 1/4.

PLUS, many states (such as CA) have energy rebates and soon will REQUIRE 2 speed pumps, so you might look into that as well (unfortunately, NY does not have such a rebate).

mjs31
05-30-2007, 08:37 AM
Anyone out there using a two speed pump? I called my pool store asking about them and they said they are too expensive and don't sell well. I have read on here two speed is the way to go. It filters best in low speed and sweeps and backwashes best in high speed.
I have an above ground pool 17,000 gallon with a Hayward Power Flo LX 1.5 HP motor and pump with a Hayward Pro Series 200 lb filter. Currently the motor is running so hot I can't hold my hand on it at all. Is this normal? It over heated once and kicked out on me but hasn't since the one time. The motor/pump is 7 years old. I was wondering what to replace it with if it dies on me. Is there a two speed above ground motor and pump that will work for me and my current filter and is that the way to go to save electricity and to get a cleaner pool? I have read a 1.5 hp motor might be over driving my 200 lb filter anyway?
If anyone can explain the two speed pumps to me and if that is the way to go I would appreciate it. Do they have a special switch to switch it from low to high? Where can I buy one for an above ground pool? Thanks for your help.

I think you will find mixed opinions on the need for a 2 speed, but I believe the facts show that you will be able to run at lo speed for a long time and still save on your electric bill. Your motor should also run a lot cooler and less noise doing this. I ordered the pentair Dyanmo 2 speed pump recently.
Also...from what I have read and looked up, a 1.5 HP pump is a bit much for a 17000 gal pool. If you do decide to get another pump you may want to research this and maybe drop down to a 1hp two speed. From what I have been told and have read on here, match the pump to your pool, more is not better and can be a pretty bad thing. A larger filter, on the other hand, is a good thing.

Good luck

CarlD
05-30-2007, 10:52 AM
Can your pump be wired to run on 220v as well as 110v? If so, consider going to the higher voltage. Your pump will run cooler and more efficiently.

Also two speed pumps are just a real joy. Once you have one you'll wonder why everyone doesn't have them (everyone with pools :rolleyes:).

But my 2-spd is a Hayward SuperPump and it has to be wired to run on 220v.

Still, even at a high speed it is not very hot.

Yeah, they are more expensive, but I cut a deal on it when I bought my pool, so it was far less costly.

Plus the quiet of low speed means sometimes I have to check the return or listen to the pump from 3' just to be sure it's running.