+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pump Motors

Default Pump Motors

I converted to a salt system and love it. I have cut my weekly chemical expenses to $25.00. Alas my electric bill is $9.00 per week for a grand total of $34.00/week. Down from $250.00/week.

I run my pump on high 24/7. I replaced the concrete pool deck and according to my pool store killed my two speed pump which was replaced with a rebuilt one speed pump. Which pump can I buy that cuts my electric down to $2.00-$3.00 per week? Would a multiple speed pump benefit me?

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Default Re: Pump Motors

Lower speeds/flow rates = lower energy costs.

It is pretty much that simple but of course the downside is that skimming and cleaners don't work as well on lower speeds.

Most of the benefit will be seen with a two speed pump on low speed. Variable speeds can lower the electrical costs a little more but costs a lot more up front.

One other thing that you can easily do is reduce the pump run time. Most pool owners run their pumps much longer than they actually need to.

But I can't tell you for sure what you will pay without a lot more detail on your setup. But to start with:

Current Pump Model
    Current Pump Run Time (hrs/day)
    Current Filter Pressure (PSI)
    Filter Type/Size
    Pool Size (gallons)
    Plumbing Diameter (e.g. 1.5", 2", 2.5")
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

+ Reply to Thread