+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Salt or chlorine...Permasalt????

Default Salt or chlorine...Permasalt????

So I sold My boat :-( and putting in an AG pool for the family. Well for my wife, haha. I have shopped around and yesterday was told about this permasalt system which I had never heard of. I had heard of salt water systems vs chlorine but perma salt was new to me. Well I have been reading post after post about this not actually sanitizing the pool. I am honestly now torn between using salt period or using chlorine. I have seen family members with pools fight green cloudy pools for years using chlorine systems where neighbors of mine use salt and have beautiful clear water all the time. I am thoroughly confused as to what to do. I want the simplest most cost effective system to use if there is such a thing. Thanks for any input and or suggestions

Default Re: Salt or chlorine...Permasalt????

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on having experienced both of the happiest days of a boat owners life! Although honestly when I sold mine, I wasn't all that happy about it- but I digress. Salt pools are chlorine pools. Here's an excerpt from poolsolutions.com. I highly recommend some reading the guides there. Here's a quote:

Swimming Pool Salt Water Chlorine Generator FAQ

What is a salt water system?
    A salt water system or “salt water chlorine generator” (SWCG, SWG) is used to replace traditional chlorine with chlorine produced from salt in the pool water.

How does it work?
    Salt, or sodium chloride, dissolves in water separating into sodium (ions) and chloride (ions). By passing a low voltage electrical current between special metal and through the water, the SWCG then converts the chloride into chlorine in a process called electrolysis.

The newly created chlorine creates a chlorine residual, and is available to sanitize the pool. When it is used up, it changes back to chloride, and allowing the process to start over again.

So a pool with an SWCG is not chlorine free?
    Correct! An SWCG is just another way of adding chlorine to your pool. It's a good way of doing so, but the end result is still a chlorinated pool.
    I'm not sure what "perma salt" is but most likely it is simply a brand name for a salt system. The salt in a SWCG system is never used up so technically all salt pools are permanently salt pools. Unless you replace the water.
    rectangle 11.5K gal IG concrete pool;; 125sf cartridge filter; 2hp 1 speed pump; K-2006, k-1766; PF:10

I looked up the Perma Salt system. It is NOT just a swcg. It adds copper and silver to your water along with the chlorine generated. Personally, I'd avoid the product. Copper turns hair green, stains pools and is only marginally effective as a sanitizing agent.
    rectangle 11.5K gal IG concrete pool;; 125sf cartridge filter; 2hp 1 speed pump; K-2006, k-1766; PF:10

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by wwooten View Post
    I am honestly now torn between using salt period or using chlorine.
    membership upgraded.

Just wanted to be sure you are clear on the fact that 'salt' -- using a SWCG (Salt Water Chlorine Generator) -- is just a METHOD of adding chlorine. There's a lot of deceptive SWCG marketing out there that obscures that fact.

Thanks so much everyone. I did in fact realize that the salt system generated chlorine. Didn't know exactly how until now. As for the perma salt system, I have seen NOTHING positive about this system so I will avoid it for sure. I do want a more low maintenance system as we travel to the family lake house a bit as well so I believe a salt system is gonna fit my needs best. I am sure you'll hear more from me in the near future as I try to figure all this new stuff out.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Don't go with salt until you have checked, and verified that all your pool equipment is salt compatible. The saline levels are fairly low (~4,000 ppm vs ~35,000 for ocean water), but high enough to cause increased corrosion.

Ok thanks.. Will definitely make sure of that. I have one more place to shop, but so far everyone says their entire pool and systems are compatible as this is the most popular system around here. You folks have been a big help. I truly appreciate it and will be ordering my test kit through the links!! Thanks again

Thanks.

UPDATE: the PermaSalt info is available through this link: http://pool9.net/permasalt/
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 05-17-2014 at 04:30 PM.

+ Reply to Thread