+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Liner pulled loose

Default Liner pulled loose

I have a 20 x 40 oval vinyl sport pool. It gets covered with a solid cover in the fall and which stays on until late spring or early summer when opening. The last couple of years after removing the cover I would find the liner has pulled out of its track. Usually 3 or 4 spots less than a foot long on each one, but it does seem to get worse every year. I walked by it today and noticed the cover was way low (2 to 3 feet). We pulled the cover and the liner has pulled out on three corners, the 4th has stairs or it would have to. The water level is down the 2 to 3 feet and there is standing water behind the liner. We just had flooding rains last week and I thought the cover looked high one day after that. Does anyone know what might be causing this and how to prevent it from happening. At this rate next year the whole thing will be popped out. Thanks for any ideas or thoughts/solutions.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Thumbs up Re: Liner pulled loose

See if you can find some liner lock -- it's a soft plastic/ vinyl barbed 'wedge' that helps fill the gap in the track that receives the liner bead and keeps downward pressure on the bead so it won't slip out (as easily). Similarly, you could just use a few pennies to keep the bead from slipping out.

How hard is it to get those corners back in on a warm sunny day? The harder it is to get them back in, the more likely they are to pop back out and therefore more area must be secured with the liner lock or loose change
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Default Re: Liner pulled loose

It sounds to me like two things are happening. First the water or ice on top of the winter cover is actually pushing water out of the pool. Second ground water is infilrating when the water level has dropped and has lifted the liner. You should probably be ok as long as you put the liner back before adding water.

To prevent this from happening keep a cover pump on the winter cover and pump water off of it when you see it accumulating.

Default Re: Liner pulled loose

Quote Originally Posted by cleancloths View Post
    It sounds to me like two things are happening. First the water or ice on top of the winter cover is actually pushing water out of the pool. Second ground water is infilrating when the water level has dropped and has lifted the liner. You should probably be ok as long as you put the liner back before adding water.

To prevent this from happening keep a cover pump on the winter cover and pump water off of it when you see it accumulating.
    No ice,, and a pump stays on the cover as long as the temperature is above freezing. It was from the 6 to 7 inchs of rain we got a couple of weeks ago in a short span. I had the pool company come out and put the liner back in and put in the liner lock and also plumb in the french drain ( which they should have done in the first place). Then 4 days after they finished we got another 5 to 6 inchs of rain in 24 hours with 4 of it in one night. It floated the liner up with big bubbles but it stayed locked in the track. I have pumped what looks like at least hundreds if not thousands of gallons of water from under the liner. It is so filthy I can't see the bottom to know if I have it all out but am now running the filter non-stop. Any ideas on how to speed up the cleaning without pumping out the water. I am on well water and that is my last option. Thanks for all the advice.

+ Reply to Thread