+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Swimming while Chlorinator runs?

Default Swimming while Chlorinator runs?

I was just curious... is there any problem with swimming while the chlorine generator runs? My owners manual says not to, but I can't really imagine what would cause a problem with this...

My issue is that my chlorine generator needs to run for approx 11 hours to generate enough chlorine for the pool... it also doesn't autoclean the cell unless it runs for 8 hours, so I can't effectively break it up into two cycles per day..

I'd rather not run it all night long for two reasons...

1. It will be at max chlorine in the AM, letting the sun eat chlorine through the day, and leaving very little chlorine in the evening when the pool is going to be used heaviest.

2. I use a solar heater, so I run my pump on low all day.. I'd rather not have to leave the pump on 24/7...

Any input?

FYI, I have a 15k gallon above ground pool and I'm using an intex SWG.. cheap, noncustomizable except for length of cycle.. but I figured it's worth the $200 to see how much I like the SWG as opposed to chlorinating with bleach.. If I love it, I'll upgrade to something better next season... Unless this one works great, lol

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: Swimming while Chlorinator runs?

The intex SWG and many of their pumps are not UL approved and might create a shock hazard which is why they tell you NOT to run them while swimming. This is one of the reasons it only costs $200. I would follow that advice!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear View Post
    The intex SWG and many of their pumps are not UL approved and might create a shock hazard which is why they tell you NOT to run them while swimming. This is one of the reasons it only costs $200. I would follow that advice!
    Wow, good to know... Thanks

Edit: I just checked the box and it says "conforms to UL and CSA standards"... I also called Intex and they told me that it has UL approval..

So, I guess that means I'm still waiting for an answer to my original question.
    Last edited by badutahboy; 05-16-2008 at 02:36 PM.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

But NOt UL approved while people are in the pool. Some of the intex pumps are but not all of them. I don't beleive any of their SWGs are but I could be wrong on that.
    There is a danger of shock.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

+ Reply to Thread