+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to Get the Right Testkits for your Pool (2010)

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default How to Get the Right Testkits for your Pool (2010)

We constantly ask people to get the test kits they need, so they can stay out of the pool stores, and away from the sales tactics stores use to sell un-needed chemicals. We made this page because:
    1. We want you to begin saving time, trouble, and money, with accurate testing (and our help learning to use those tests!).

2. Small details matter.
    The Taylor K-2005 and K-2006 are very similar, but the K-2005 is NOT an adequate substitute for the K-2006.

3. The exact kits we recommend can be hard to find.
    If you don't know where to look, it's easy to end up with the wrong kit. So, even if you don't buy using the Amazon links below, use the pictures to make sure you're getting the right kit.
    Three additions:

Help videos
    I've posted a number of videos from Taylor on YouTube, to make them more accessible. The first set covers basic kit use. The second set covers problems that arise when something interferes with the test results.
    http://pool9.net/tk-guide/
    http://pool9.net/tk-interfere/
    If you live in Canada, you can NOT get these Taylor kits shipped to you, and you may not be able to get them at all. Sorry!

Please share your thoughts, by posting below -- complements, criticism, corrections are ALL welcomed!

The kits below are in 3 groups:
    A. Complete kits
    B. Supplemental kits measure something not in the 'complete' kits, like salt or borates (borax)
    C. Add-on kits that allow you to extend kits you already have.

If you use these pages to order from Amazon, please note the following:

1. We've tried to pick options that are shipped by Amazon, not a third party. Amazon is very reliable and (usually) has generous return options. But, some kits are may be available only from 3rd parties. So, pay attention to who's selling. Orders from 3rd parties will typically take longer to arrive, often include a shipping charge, and have a more complicated return process.

2. When you are ordering directly from Amazon, shipping is usually free if you order $50 or more at time. But if you order from Amazon frequently, like my family does, the Amazon "Prime" membership is worth considering. One option? Use the free 30-day Prime trial to order your kits, and then cancel if you don't want to keep it.

3. If you have a problem with a purchase made using any of these links -- any kind of problem at all -- please let me know. You can post in this thread, if you like. I can't necessarily help, but I can use that information to improve what we're doing.

1. Taylor K-1000 OTO / phenol red kits -- ~$15 from Amazon, delivered.

If you need an OTO / phenol red kit TODAY, do NOT order from here. Instead, go to Walmart or Lowes or wherever, and get what you need. But you can use the picture, to get an idea of what you're looking for. Those kits are not as good as the K-1000, but it's often important that you get a reliable estimate of your chlorine and pH, and NOT wait for an Amazon delivery. (The Taylor pH reagent continues to work with chlorine levels up to 10 ppm, where all other kits we know about are not reliable above 5 ppm free chlorine.)

An alternative may be available locally. The HTH 6-way is a re-labeled Taylor K-1000 PLUS the CYA test, plus some less important stuff. It is available from Amazon, but also stocked locally at many Walmart stores (~$23 - June 2018).

from Amazon <== ==> from Walmart stores

==================================================

2a. Taylor K-2006A complete kit, 3/4 oz reagent bottles -- ~$58 delivered. --- 2b. Taylor K-2006C complete kit, 2 oz reagent bottles) -- ~$99 delivered

<---- Taylor K-2006A /------\ Taylor K-2006C ---> [/CENTER]

To escape pool store testing, and sales tactics, these are the kits you need. The K2006C has about 3x the reagent for less than 2x the price. Which ever kit you get, don't over test. In particular, the CYA test is limited, about 9 tests in the K2006A model. But, that's enough -- your CYA only changes when you drain or add a lot of water, or when you add CYA or use a lot of stabilized chlorine.

Supplemental Kits

3a. AquaChek salt strips-- ~$9 delivered. /---------\ 3b. Taylor K-1766 salt test kit -- ~$24 delivered.

<--- AquaChek salt strips /----\ Taylor K-1766 --->

We usually don't recommend strips, but the AquaChek strips seem to work fairly well *IF* you follow directions. In particular, the strip must be immersed for at least 5 minutes. ALSO: every set of Aquachek salt strips is different; you MUST use the 'conversion' chart on the bottle to obtain your reading. The Taylor kit is a little more accurate, but is also fussy to use. If you want a test that's good enough (but no better) get the Aqua-Chek. If you want to be as accurate as possible, get the Taylor.

5. Lamotte Borate strips -- ~$10 delivered

The consensus among my moderators and contributors is that these strips are the best available borate (borax) test method.

6a. Taylor K-1106 Phosphate test kit -- ~$34 delivered. /--\ 6b. Hach Phosphate Test Kit (Aqua-Chek) test kit -- ~$10 delivered.

<--- Taylor K-1766 /--\ AquaChek salt strips --->

We usually don't recommend strips, but these AquaChek strips seem to work fairly well for PO4 levels below 1000 ppb. If you need a full range test, use the Taylor kit.

Add-on Kits

7. Taylor K-1515 FAS-DPD -- ~$34 delivered (Since Taylor raised prices, you are probably better off getting an entire K2006!)

This Taylor kit provides ONLY the FAS-DPD test method, and can be used to supplement a Taylor K-2005. It's usually sold by Amato.

8a. Taylor K-1721 CYA test -- ~$28 delivered /---\ 8b. Taylor R-0013-E 1 pint refill -- ~$17 delivered
    <--- . Taylor K-1721 /---\ Taylor R-0013-E --->

The Taylor K-1721 allows you to add cyanuric acid testing, the R-0013 refill is the reagent used for that test, and can be used with the K-1721 OR with the K-2006 kits

Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-29-2018 at 09:19 AM. Reason: update links

Default Re: How to Get the Right Testkits for your Pool

Ben, I wanted to report to you that I got my Taylor 2006C kit from Amazon in a couple of days ago. Just a little growing pains getting used to use it, but not really. Watching the videos really helped. I have never used a pool testing kit before in my life....so as they say, if I can do it, anyone can. Yup, that pretty much describes my impression of using the kit.

I also added the salt water testing kit too since I have a SWCG system on my little pool.

A little testing and reading of manuals and it is amazing what you can learn about the equipment. Fine tuning right now as we speak.

After playing around with this kit, I don't know how in the world you would want to use anything else to test your pool. Just pitched all the test strip crap in the trash.

Thanks again Ben for the information and link to the Taylor kits. Worth EVERY penny I spent.....and how long has it been since you've said that about anything you bought lately?

Bob E.
    Intex 10' x 30" metal frame pool, Intex 2500 gph filter/pump, Intex Saltwater generator, SwimMax 11KW heater, 2 x Small Game Solar Domes.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Thanks for the response, Bob.

Hi PoolDoc,
    I ordered the Taylor K-2006C from your link on 6-6-2011. I was just reading back over this post. I ordered the Taylor k-2006C and that's what my invoice says but they sent me the K-2005 C instead. Y'all helped me with a nightmare conversion from Baquacil so I was new to Chlorine and chlorine test kits. I thought they were the same test kits (maybe a newer model number) until I read this post. I went and checked my kit to make sure, and I was right. So I was not getting the right chlorine readings last year? It's too late to send it back now. What do I need to do to make sure I get correct chlorine readings this year?
    FYI-we're starting from scratch with a new liner this year-Hurricane Irene destroyed our deck and liner after all that work getting converted last year! Reesie

received my K2006 "chemistry" set. Wow, feeling overwhelmed. Will I need ALL the different bottles of reagant or just zero in on FC, CH, PH, ALK, and CYA level. Thank you for guiding me in the right direction. Now read read and learn about my test kit. 1st time pool owner/operator.

Yvonne
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 09-12-2012 at 09:10 PM. Reason: turn signature on
    16x32 rectangle 14.6K* gal Intex AG vinyl pool; Household Bleach; Sta-Rite System 2 cartridge filter; Waterford Systems 1 speed pump; 8 hrs; Taylor K2006, HTH 6 way test strip; well; summer: none; winter: intex provided cover; android phone; PF:8.2

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Ben,
    Can you post again, or sticky how to roughly estimate high TC levels from an OTO kit based on Orange, Deep Orange, Red, Red-Brown and Brown?
    Thanks.

[Admin: here it is => http://pool9.net/oto/ ]
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 05-23-2014 at 04:15 PM.
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Just an FYI:

I purchased the K-2006C from the link provided from an Amazon vendor, VMInovations. They shipped it in a plastic bag without any additional packaging. When the kit arrived, the R-0870-1 powdered reagent had come open in transit and contaminated the entire contents.

Getting them to replace the entire kit has been a challenge. I would avoid this vendor if possible.
    VMI did finally give me a full refund. I reordered from Amato and the kit arrived in a much better package and interestingly enough, scotch tape over the R-0870-1 reagent.

Yes, it's best to order directly from Amazon if possible. They ALSO screw up shipping, but returns and refunds are much easier with Amazon.

So far, it appears all the other guys (Amato, VMI, etc) *eventually* straighten things out, but it's not always fast or fun.

+ Reply to Thread