Once you've firmed things up, I can work with you on exact item numbers, etc.
Once you've firmed things up, I can work with you on exact item numbers, etc.
Thanks for such a detailed response Ben! Boy, I feel like that subscription I paid was a steal! lol --- I will make sure to chip in more
Some quick comments / questions:
1- Most builders I spoke to were pushing a 1.5HP Variable Pump for what they said was "optimal performance and LOW power consumption". It's interesting that you are recommending 3/4HP Pump. I am happy with your suggestion, its less money...as long as it works well for my size pool. I read somewhere that 2" pipes would be best. But, wouldn't variable be better though? Or do you still recommend a 2 Speed Pumps at low 24/7? Again, excuse the dumb newbie rebuttal questions here...
2- Can you briefly describe the function of the booster pump pool cleaner?
3- I am going to instal four deckjets and two blowers (don't have a spa but have a section that I want some bubbles on for kids fun). Do you recommend I get different pumps to control jets and blowers?
Thanks
Newbie building a 12.5 X 25 pool by owner.
I've been looking for a 3/4 Dual Speed from Hayward so I can adjust my price costs, but all I find at 1 and 1.5Hp Hayward for dual speed.
Newbie building a 12.5 X 25 pool by owner.
May have to settle for 1HP. It won't make a lot of difference, so long as you run on low.
VS pumps depend heavily on surge-sensitive and EXPENSIVE electronics. They do well in places like California, but not so well in places with lots of lightning related voltage surges, like Miami. And even in California, a VS pump won't usually last as long as a 2 speed.
A Polaris cleaner both vacuums up debris (leaf bits, dead bugs, flower petals) AND it sweeps the pool, disrupting developing or emerging algae biofilms. In Miami, with no screens, you DEFINITELY want one, if you don't want to spend 20 minutes a week vacuuming.
Bubbles, for kids? Are you sure? From what I've seen blower bubbles hold kids interest for about 5 minutes. Then it's all 'been there, seen that'!
BUT . . . blower bubbles are not pump flow dependent. Jets are. If you want spa like jets, that will require a MAJOR increase in pump size, piping complexity, and cost. All very do-able, but you are moving away from your low cost very simple system.
Again, spas (and spa like functions) are -- from what I've seen over the years -- interesting to kids only for a brief initial period. I've only seen continued interest in spas in adults . . . and teenagers 'on the make'.
I've seen motel spas jam-packed with with young teens at regional swim meets, but that's a bit different: 1 part "It's NEW to me", 1 part "I'm really sore from swimming that 400 IM", and 1 part "Can I squeeze in next to Suzy -- she's not going to be fast much longer if those things keep growing, but I sure do like how they look!".
PoolDoc / Ben
I may not have described well about the jets thing. No, I don't mean those jets. I mean the ones you put on the deck...like mini water features. All they do is throw a small splash of water up into the air and into the pool for the kids to play in.
As as the blower goes, I have a little 7' seating bench on the deep end of the pool. One of the contractors thought it would be cool to have a couple of blowers there kinda for back massage, etc. I am not sure if I will do it or not but was curious how odd of a thing this in on an actual pool - not a spa.
I will definitely get the pool cleaner - I just didn't know what the booster was for - but now I know.
Regarding the VS pump...I never thought it would be such a nuisance. I was mostly inclined in that director for the electricity savings.
Newbie building a 12.5 X 25 pool by owner.
Builders almost always think it's "cool" when the property owner spends more money. Just keep in mind that many builders don't even like pools, or have one themselves!
There are situations where a VS pump is a good choice -- but a small simple IG pool in Miami is not one of those. And the additional savings from a VS pump, compared to a well-chosen 2 speed is far too small to justify the $500 price difference, much less the $200 for a surge protector and the reduced service life!
PoolDoc / Ben
Got it. I'm sold on the 2 speed then. With respect to pricing, my research led me to some $700 2 speed pumps. Am I looking correctly? When you have a chance, doesn't have to be now, please see if you can share actual models of the pump you recommend.
Newbie building a 12.5 X 25 pool by owner.