+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: starting up after winter

Default Re: starting up after winter

I did not order the unicel cartridges as I had 3 new cartrifges I was hoping to start using then buy the unicel ones. Sounds like I need to go ahead and order those. I did get the stuff to clean the cartridges with as you had suggested. I do not know how to waste via siphon, my husbad might but it wouldn't hurt to post if its not too much trouble. I have just been vacuuming into the collection bag that sits in my skimmer bag that came with the vacuum which came with the pool. It fills up pretty quickly so I have to empty frequently should I just keep vacuuming with the vacuum filter oR use the cartridges I have until I get the unicel ones
    20' x 48" Intex round Ultra AGP ~8800 gallons -- Intex krystal clear 635t 1500gph; PF: 13

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

We're not sure yet, but what we suspect is that forcing dead algae particles through filters that do NOT catch them, breaks them into even smaller particles that are harder to filter.

So yes, I'd recommend getting the Unicel filters.

Still trying to clean this mess up until I get the unicel cartridges I ordered. I have been using the vacuum with my pump with and without my cartridge filter. I will get the hose filled with sludge and it will lose suction, I then have to empty the filter that is on the end of the hose in my skimmer basket then start again, as it this isnt bad enought to be doing LITERALLY after 5 seconds of vacuuming i had also noticed dirt going back into the pool once the vacuum filter gets clogged. I did this for a while before I realized I was not making much ground if any with the return of dirty water to the pool. Yes, I was getting rid of a lot of algae but just didnt like the dirty water return. Also, I did add a clarifier and it has cleared up where I can see part of the way into the pool(much more than before). Should I turn the pump off and let this settle and try to vacuum again or see if the pump filter will filter it out? Sounds like i might need some schooling in vacuuming to waste via siphon.....
    20' x 48" Intex round Ultra AGP ~8800 gallons -- Intex krystal clear 635t 1500gph; PF: 13

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

You can't really do a siphon vacuum with sludge -- it's too heavy and solid.

I started to feel guilty, think maybe I hadn't suggested this:
    If you can drain and refill for less than $120, it may be a good idea.If you can drain and refill for less than $120, it may be a good idea.
    but I did, in my first post.

Is there a reason why you ruled this out? If you've got layered sludge on the bottom of an Intex pool, you are STILL a long way from cleaned up -- on an Intex at LEAST 10 days.

I have actually asked myself that a few times(why didn't I drain). I probably shouldn't call it sludge. It seems to be mostly algae, dirt, bugs and after adding the clarifier some of it has clumped together. Turned the pump off last night and let it settle. This am noticed a few spots where the water is clear and you can see the bottom. There was kind of a horseshoe shape where you could see the dirt and even in those spots the water was still pretty cLear for a ways down. We vacuumed up quite a bit(had to have two people and even then its rough). Going to let it settle and try again

If it will settle, and you can work out a way to get it out, you can clean up more quickly than I indicated.

+ Reply to Thread