+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: New Intex owner from Texas

Default Re: New Intex owner from Texas

Hhhmm. Is there a non-liquid pure chlorine format that I can use instead of bleach? The granules seemed easier to store and apply than liquid jugs of bleach, and I'm not sure the bleach is cheaper. My pH has been a steady 7.5, and I had been adding about 1/2 cup of granules every other evening to keep the OTO dark yellow. The SWCG runs for 4 hours at night.

And if I go a pure chlorine route, how much more CYA should I add? I had been doing a pound at a time via the sock method, until I had added the full 4 lbs ... I don't remember how much that raised me to, I can't find my notes. We have had rain this summer, unusual for Texas, so I know I lost some CYA from pool overflow.
    18'x48" Intex metal frame AG pool, 6,423 gal; Pump & sand , Model SF20110, 2,650 gph; Krystal Clear Saltwater System CS8110, K-2006 kit. OTO kit

18' round 6.5K gal Intex AG pool; swcg; Intex Model SF20110 sand filter; Intex Model SF20110 pump; 6hrs; Taylor K-2006; utility water; summer: ; winter: ; android tablet; PF:19

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

In the sense of "pure pool chlorine" -- there is no such thing. Even pure chlorine gas is (I'm simplifying things here) is functionally 1/2 pool chlorine and 1/2 muriatic acid.

The 'purest' pool chlorine, in the sense of fewest side effects, IS bleach.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

If your pool store sells liquid chlorine (10 or 12.5% sodium hypochlorite) that is the same thing as bleach but at a higher concentration. (Bleach is 6% sodium hypochlorite.) It may be more convenient for you as it would cut down on the number of bleach bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    In the sense of "pure pool chlorine" -- there is no such thing. Even pure chlorine gas is (I'm simplifying things here) is functionally 1/2 pool chlorine and 1/2 muriatic acid.

The 'purest' pool chlorine, in the sense of fewest side effects, IS bleach.
    :-) Allright then, my bad for not being clear. I meant 'pure' as in what vendor carries a granule based chlorine pool product that has the least amount of other chemical products in it (calcium, stabilizers, etc). In my case, I have to store the liquid bleach in the garage, and I either have to carry it through the house (most direct route) or take it outside and around the house (more convoluted route). I was not as concerned having to carry granules through the house as if I were to spill them, I could vacuum/sweep them up. Liquid bleach would be a disaster. I can't store the bleach near the pool.
    18'x48" Intex metal frame AG pool, 6,423 gal; Pump & sand , Model SF20110, 2,650 gph; Krystal Clear Saltwater System CS8110, K-2006 kit. OTO kit

18' round 6.5K gal Intex AG pool; swcg; Intex Model SF20110 sand filter; Intex Model SF20110 pump; 6hrs; Taylor K-2006; utility water; summer: ; winter: ; android tablet; PF:19

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I don't think there is a form that fits with what you have in mind. Cal hypo (~68% chlorine) adds calcium; trichor (~90% chlorine) adds stabilizer.

If you can't put a lockable storage box near the pool . . . I don't know what to tell you.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I keep my jugs of bleach in the utility room in my basement where it is cool. When I need a jug, I carry it up a flight of carpeted stairs. In all the years I have been doing this, I have never had a drop of bleach leak from a jug. Just my $0.02.

Thanks, WM.

+ Reply to Thread