+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help with balancing pool

Default Help with balancing pool

Ok so here is what's going on we recently bought an above ground pool 15 feet by 42 inches so I have it estimated at around 3800 gallons . I filled the pool with well water and when it was filled up water looked dirty and green so I decided to go and get some of the 6 way test strips from Walmart to test the water . I know those are not that accurate but I'm thinkin purchasing a kit from here in the future so for the results i got these readings
    TH- 1000
    Fc-0
    Ph-8.4
    TA-240
    Cya-30-50

Now from what I have been reading is to try and balance my ta first so I have been adding muratic acid for the past couple days . I have only been adding 3/4 of a cup a day which is the max I can put according to the label . Now the water is getting clearer but it seems I have too much iron in the water because filter comes out with a copper color residue and when I scrub the bottom of the pool I can see some of that same residue moving . Also my walls feel slimy what's could that be . Now for my other question should I keep adding muratic acid to try an lower my ta or add chlorine ? Numbers haven't moved one bit even with the acid . Thanks in advance for any help

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Help with balancing pool

The only people who say "balance TA first" are chemical companies who want to sell you baking soda (sodium bicarbonate aka sodium hydrogen carbonate) at $2/pound! Don't be suckered!

BUT . . . with well water it's tough. Adding chlorine can make an iron mess. NOT adding chlorine will make an algae mess -- that's the slime you're feeling.

1. If you can get some polyquat immediately, do so (www.poolsolutions.com/polyquat.html), and add a dose every 2 days

2. Run your filter 24/7

3. Begin dosing with household 8.25% bleach, 1 cup at a time, directly in the skimmer or intake. Add some tonight (7/21) if possible. The slime is a warning your pool is about to turn green.

4. Read the "Super Simple" recipe -- you can use the dichlor doses from there. But you can't follow the recipe exactly because of the iron.
    Super-simple-pool-chemistry-recipe-for-Intex-type-pools-start-up-&-routine-care

5. Read the muriatic acid page, linked in my signature. Then use acid -- approx 1 cup at a time -- to lower your pH gradually. This will also help you avoid an iron mess.

6. Get a cheap OTO / phenol red kit (yellow / red drops). You can get a better kit later.

Ok thanks for the response and sorry for all the questions I'm about to ask . So you say to get some polyquat is that the same as the hth super algae guard that's the only thing my Walmart has. I got the bleach and you say to add to skimmer or intake do you mean the spot where the water gets sucked into the filter? And for the dichlor I have some 1" chlorinating tabs would those work? I bought the 6 way test kit from Walmart so I should have a better reading tomorrow for you guys . The iron is going away slowly I read online about wrapping a towel around the filter to help it filter the iron and it seems like it has been working the iron just settles to the bottom so I have to brush the bottom of the pool every couple hours to help it go through the filter. While I was at Walmart I bought the hth natural clarifier and the hth super select shock treatment when do you guys think I should use these? And can I add the algae guard and chlorin and muratic acid all in the same day? And is the pool safe to swim in it how it is right now family is gettin anxious

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Read the polyquat page: www.poolsolutions.com/polyquat.html. That's the only way you'll be able to tell what is, and what isn't polyquat.

On an Intex, the intake is as close to a skimmer as you can get.

Clarifier is OK, if you do NOT over dose. Don't use any algaecides except polyquat; don't use any of the HTH shocks. They have 50 or so, and only 5 or 6 are OK. Most are a messed up chemical hobo-soup.

You can swim if the chlorine is over 2 ppm and the pH is between 7 and 8. Iron will stain swimwear but not people, and it's not toxic.

Ok I will order from that site . Can I add the muratic acid and chlorin tomorrow morning at the same time

Opposite sides of the pool, or something similar -- make sure they are fully diluted before they mix with each other. Otherwise, you can add both.

(PoolSolutions is my site, too. The order links go to Amazon, not me, though I do get a commission. You are free to purchase locally, of course. You just have to read the chemical ingredients labels CAREFULLY!)

Ok so I just did the test and here are the results
    Ph- 7.5
    Ta- 300
    Tc- 0

I added 1 cup of bleach right now should I keep on adding the muratic acid ? Any other advice on what my next step should be ?

You can add acid till your pH reaches 6.8 - 7.0. If you maintain the pool at that pH for a while, the alkalinity will gradually come done.

Repeat bleach doses till you get the chlorine level to DARK yellow on an OTO drops testkit. We need to know what your stabiliser level is, but you can 'guesstimate' it, once you get your chlorine up:

1. Add chlorine in the evening. If it's gone in the AM, you still have algae, or something using up the chlorine. Dose during the day, but double the PM dose. Once your chlorine level stays unchanged overnight, THEN

2. Dose in the AM and watch the results.

3. If your chlorine disappears as soon as the sun is fully out (afternoon on daylights saving time), you have little or no stabilizer.

4. If your chlorine hardly changes during the day with full sun, you have a LOT of stabilizer.

5. But, to do this right, you'll need the K2006 kit. See the test kit page, linked in my signature block, for links to the correct items on Amazon.

Since I added chlorine about an hour ago how soon can I add another cup ?
    3.8kgal 15' x 42" AG pool

On a small pool, you can test chlorine levels an hour or so after adding IF the pump has been running.

+ Reply to Thread