+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Getting ready to open 40k gal pool AKA "the Swamp"

Default Re: Getting ready to open 40k gal pool AKA "the Swamp"

I worked on the pool all afternoon, I scooped lots more leaves and grossness out then cleaned the filter then brushed the whole pool. I took pics and will send them but I know you will say I need new ones! After all of that I checked the water and got FC: 12.5, CC: 0.5, pH: 7.2
    IG free-form concrete pool 40,000 gal Sta-Rite cartridge filter

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

See what happens to your chlorine readings overnight. If you can test within an hour of sunrise before the sun is really on the pool too much and let us know what you get, it will be helpful.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I assume you pics are the ones from the iPad? If so, I need bigger pics to be sure, but I believe that your cartridges are shot. Notice how the pleats are clumped together? That turns 10 pleats into 1; your EFFECTIVE filter square footage may be 1/5 of the original value!

Do NOT put the new cartridges in, till the goo is gone. (Cloudy is OK, goo-ey is not.)

The System3 cartridge filter is very badly designed in my opinion. They can work very well in arid areas with year-round pool operation -- no leaves, no thunderstorm debris, and no swamps. But if you let them get dirty, the force of the water trying to push through the filters will collapse the pleats as yours has done.

This is VERY common with System3 cartridges, so:

1. Be careful to keep the flow rate BELOW the maximum.
    2. NEVER let the pressure increase more than 5 psi above the 'clean' pressure.
    3. Always vacuum sludge with your OLD cartridges.

A single episode of a 10 or 15 psi filter pressure increase can ruin $400+ worth of cartridges.

Some folks here, who have them in S. Calif or Arizona love them. I utterly despise the things; I think they are hands down the WORST general use filter on the market. I suppose they'd be OK if they were ONLY sold in markets where they could work well, and with adequate warnings about correct usage.

Yes those were my ipad pics, I don't know how to make them bigger but yes, I agree that the cartridges are not good anymore. We replaced them in 2011, so they are 3 years old and have been through a few swamps. Our PB picked the equipment and then kind of left us to figure it out on our own, he wouldn't answer his phone for questions. So the first year, 2007, I pretty much had to figure it all out on my own. Some things I figured out better than others! We are going to price covers for the fall, in hopes that we could open next year to a clean pool. After I posted my last message I went out and added 4 more jugs of walmart bleach, so the 8.25%. I will test again before the sun comes up and report back. Thanks for your help!

Ok, so at 8:30 pm I added those 4 jugs to raise the FC to 21(per pool calculator). So now at 5:15 am I checked and the FC is 20.5 and CC is 0.5. Things are looking better! I plan to vacuum, clean the cartridges and brush again this afternoon. Let me know if I need to do something different. Thanks again!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Good deal. Sounds like you are making significant progress with your swamp....... I mean pool!

Pool is looking better, we are getting all the dirt vacuumed up and finding some algae under it but at least it's clear enough to see the algae now! So, I will keep the bleach up high until the algae is gone and the bleach holds overnight. We were in the pool today and I noticed that the bottom and sides of the pool were very rough. This also happened last year and my 3 year old had to wear swim shoes because the pool tore up his little toes. So what do I do to make it smooth again? I know you all can help me with that, last year I was overwhelmed with just trying to keep the water clear. I couldn't worry about fixing the calcium deposits or what ever it is that is sooo rough. It's terrible to have people, mostly kids, come over to swim and they leave with scratched up feet and hurting toes!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Rough plaster has no quick or cheap fix.

Get the pool cleaned up, and get pictures, and we can help you look at options.

I went out today and the water is really clear! I vacuumed the dirt that settled from yesterday and it looked really good. I cleaned the filter after vacuuming and then it rained. There were still a few spots but I couldn't tell for sure if its algae or stains. There were a few pennies and nickels in there from last year and the nickels were all rusted so they could have left stains, I guess. I didn't get in the pool today, it wasn't warm enough, so I don't know if those spots were slick or not but they wouldn't brush off. I haven't seen anymore slimy snotty stuff so that's good! I got some of the dichlor from Sam's (I found out my sister is a member!), so I think I will put that in tomorrow evening. Should I wait to clean the filter for a few days after adding it, or does that stuff dissolve quick? I should get my new cartridges on the 28th. I got my youngest son some new swim shoes since you said the roughness won't be easy to get rid of. It doesn't bother the older kids as much, I guess their skin is tougher! Let me know what I can try or start doing to get rid of it. I'm glad that is my only(at the moment!) major problem and that the pool is clear! The kreepy krauly hose had that rough build up on it and it has come off of it now that its been in all that bleach for several days. I wish it was that easy to get it off the pool walls! Thank you again for all the help you all provide! It is very much appreciated!!

1. Dichlor dissolved very quickly; just dump it in your deep end and keep people out for 15 minutes or so. (If they get in sooner, and swim through the 'hot spot', it won't hurt them but might sting their eyes and bleach their swimsuit.)

2. If the roughness is ON the plaster, you can do something about it. If it's IN the plaster -- that is, if the plaster itself is pitted and rough -- fixing requires major repairs.

+ Reply to Thread