+ Reply to Thread

Thread: not shocking pool, water crystal clear

Default not shocking pool, water crystal clear

Hi guys. I'm in Ga. Opened above ground pool or Memorial day weekend. Shocked 5 times over 3 days (5 packets of shock) while vacuming and flushing sand filter. Got pool clear and put 2, 3in tablets in filter. We replace the cholorine tablets every other day. Pool is crystal clear since memorial day but we haven't shocked it AT ALL! Water has a "metal" taste I guess and all levels from the kit are low. Like nothing low. How is the pool so clear? Do we need to shock it? It's the second year we have had the pool and last year we were constantly shocking and trying to keep it clear. SHocking it because we thought we needed too. Adding all kinds of chemicals. I vacum once a week and we have lots of kids swimming during the week. We get a little algae growth but I vacum and brush with no issues. I'm confused.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: not shocking pool, water crystal clear

You could just be lucky, but without test results I don't know. The fact that the water tastes metallic opens some not very good possibilities.

Do this:

1. Report what chemicals (brand/product name) you've been using, and what test results you've gotten show (actual numbers).

2. Report what kind of pool you have (size, shape, brand, gallons).

3. Go to Walmart and get a cheap OTO / phenol red drops kit and test your pool water. Also get 2 boxes of 20 Mule Team borax for every 10,000 gallons of water in your pool.

I'm concerned that your pH may be VERY low, which can be very damaging to your pool. A very low pH can lead to a metallic taste in the water.

+ Reply to Thread